It isn’t enough in today’s competitive marketplace to simply hire the best candidates. Few employees are content doing the same functions for years on end. Dissatisfaction often stems from not feeling challenged or appreciated. The best way to counter this problem is to identify and hire individuals who can become leaders in your company. Here are five way to spot future leaders.
- They engage with people, not devices. Today’s highly connected world has created a new breed of communicators. So many people rely on their computers and smart phones to interact with the world. You even see groups of friends sitting in public with each of them buried in their smart phone. Someone with leadership skills will know when to put their devices away and concentrate on the people in the room.
- They embrace failure and learn from it. We can’t always control the outcome of a situation, but we can control how we react to it. If someone is consistently playing the blame game or sloughing off responsibility for failure, they will not be a solid leader. Look for someone who is willing to say they made a mistake, learn from it, and move forward. There isn’t room for whining in leadership roles.
- They can maintain their composure in all situations. Composure isn’t just keeping your temper in check, although that is a big component. It is also about how you conduct yourself in public or groups. Are you nervous, fidgety, or otherwise distracted? Leaders can focus on the situation at hand and not let their minds wander. They don’t get agitated, nervous, or bored very easily.
- They don’t have to affect a disingenuous persona. The old adage “fake it until you make it” is only partially true. Real leaders understand that they will be recognized when their performance is outstanding. They don’t try to draw attention to themselves with artificial accomplishments or inflated ego boosts. Real leaders are genuine at all times.
- They can remain focused even when pressured. Outside stressors happen to everyone. A quickly approaching deadline, an office emergency, or even the end of the day can influence how a person handles a problem. A leader can take these complications in stride. They understand the fallacy of multitasking and instead know how to prioritize.
Are you looking to hire future leaders for your organization? Cornerstone Staffing, one of the leading temp services in Fort Worth, can help you identify them today!